Sunday 21 August 2011

Cinemalaya

I know it's been a while since Cinemalaya took place in CCP and Greenbelt. But I haven't been able to share my thoughts on it.


First of all, the only reason I watched at first was because my older sister was required to watch one of the sets for her class. I had no idea how good they were and I'm so sad that I didn't get the chance to watch more. I watched the shorts A set and I really loved the very first one the most which was entitled, Hanapbuhay. Thing about that was that you wouldn't understand the point of the story until the very end of the film, which was awesome. It wasn't as predictable as most films. In the film the camera was basically following this guy that would end up in places where, you realize in the end, someone might die. I had to wonder in the beginning why he was throwing rocks at the free medical check-up tents, or why he was cheering for this guy to be shot, or why he wanted this other guy to jump off the cliff and commit suicide. In the end, you find out that his job is selling coffins, and his job, business or work depended on people's deaths. All that time, he was just waiting for someone to die. And in the end when the film ended with a gun shot that made the whole family smile, you could tell that it was a good day.

I don't watch so many Filipino films because most of them are too dramatic. I just like the simple funny ones like Kimmy Dora or Tanging Ina, which used to be one of my favorite movies. I think that most of the movies nowadays are all the same. They have the same stories, the same setting the same... everything. Have they all been brainwashed so much that they can't even think of anything new to produce? This is why I think Indie films are the best way to really showcase the talents of Filipinos that do films. This is the only place for them to really be more expressive and creative with their ideas. They aren't limited to the basic plot of the commercial films.

-Mirabai Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment