Sunday 24 July 2011

Why I suck and Why I am epic by Jessica Ouano

Why I suck...

Well for starters I'm such a push over. I always let people tell me what to do because I care too much about what other people think. I always wanna be the good guy. Even if I have to go way out of my way to do things I would do it just to please everyone. Sometimes I also feel like I can't speak my mind because I'm afraid of what other people might think so I normally keep things to myself. Another thing that sucks about me is that I'm super careless. I forget things all the time. I also tend to make to stupid mistakes and sometimes it seems like I have no common sense at all. I always need people to point things out to me before I understand it. Also I tend to give up easily and break down. If things don't go the way I plan I don't even think about coming up with other options I just give up right away. I am a one-track minded person and I only like to concentrate on one thing and I forget about the rest. I also have this tendency to be jealous of the other people around me. It's human nature but then I get way too caught up in it. I have a thing for comparing myself with others. I always try to find ways to be better than the other person instead of just being the best I can be. I also tend to be a very negative person. I always see the bad side of things before I see the good side. I guess it's because I don't like facing the consequences or making an extra effort. Those are the flaws I see in myself that I absolutely hate and wish I could change.

Why I am epic...

I guess I can say I am epic because I do this absolutely amazing hobby that sets me apart from everyone else and that is of course COSPLAY. :) I've been cosplaying for 4 and a half years now and through the years i've been able to accomplish so much. On my 3rd year of cosplay I submitted my pictures to a website that was going to feature cosplyers from all over the world in an international cosplay book called OTACOOL 2: Worldwide Cosplayers. It was a long shot but with a bit of luck I was able to make it in the book together with hundreds of other cosplayers from all over the world. The best part was that I even made it on the cover together with 13 other amazing cosplayers. It was quite a shock to be in it because I was just some amateur cosplayer who didn't really have so much to show for. There were definitely a lot of other people better than me. I was so happy to just to get into the book because I got to be one of the 4 filipino cosplayers to be featured in the book together with the amazing Alodia Gosiengfiao and her adorable sister Ashley as well as the epic and oh so gorgeous Monique Dimaling. It was the biggest accomplishment of my entire cosplay career and to think I just started cosplaying. I believe I was the youngest cosplayer in the entire book. I was 15 years old that time. After being featured in the book I had the great opportunity to do a book signing for the book together with Alodia, Ashley and Monique. I admire them all so much and I was so ecstatic to have been given the honor to be together with all of them. 



My page in OTACOOL; photo by: Roland dela Cerna
                                                       
Another accomplishment I'm quite proud of is being featured in a local lifestyle magazine called Zee. It was a cosplay feature as well but then it was a bit different because it was a mix of fashion and cosplay. It was such an honor to be chosen together with 3 other amazing local cosplayers, Yuki Akai, Miles Semblante, and Edd Buenavaje.

zee cosplay fashion feature: cosplayer,Yuki Akai on the left and me on the right; photo by Anne Lorraine Uy



Other than OTACOOL and Zee, I was also on the cover of the photography magazine I-mag. This time not as a cosplayer but as a model. It was my first time doing a photo shoot as a model instead of a cosplayer and I was so fortunate that I-mag chose my picture to be on the cover.

photo on the cover of I-mag; photo by: Jan Gonzales


I've had a lot of little accomplishments since then but these are the ones I am most proud of. It's all thanks to cosplay and a bit of luck that I got to have so many great opportunities to meet new people and learn new things. There are still a lot of people better than me at this but there's always room for improvement and I just keep on learning more and more as I go.

Recent cosplay of mine as Misa Amane from Death Note; photo by: Claire Codilla




-J.








No comments:

Post a Comment